Host Kevin Patton walks listeners through three warnings he gives in his course syllabus, plus the safety advice he always includes. Updates on HAPS travel awards, including a brand new one! Don’t forget Preview episodes & the Nuzzel newsletter.
00:46 | Nuzzel Newsletter
01:50 | Sponsored by HAPS
02:18 | HAPS Travel Awards
13:06 | Sponsored by AAA
13:28 | Preview Episodes
15:59 | Syllabus Warnings
32:19 | Sponsored by HAPI Online Graduate Program
32:51 | Safety Advice
53:45 | Staying Connected
Here's something I've heard said of being a nurse: "Where else can you experience the thrill of having total strangers poop in front of you like it's totally your business?" (Anonymous)
Nuzzel is a service that allows a curator to select daily headlines trending in social media and publish them as an email newsletter. In the Nuzzel for The A&P Professor, host Kevin Patton selects daily headlines that may be of interest to anatomy and/or physiology faculty. This Nuzzel newsletter is published five days a week (more or less).
To check out the archives of past Nuzzel newsletters, or to subscribe, go to: nuzzel.com/theAPprofessor
Sponsored by HAPS
The Human Anatomy & Physiology Society (HAPS) is a sponsor of this podcast. You can help appreciate their support by clicking the link below and checking out the many resources and benefits found there. There are a bunch of 1-day regional workshops scattered all over the continent. There's probably one near you coming up this year (or next)!
HAPS Travel Awards
Sometimes it's hard to make it to a conference that we really want to attend because we just can't pull together the financial resources. With HAPS travel awards, that just got a lot easier!
Go to theAPprofessor.org/haps NOW (yes, I"m shouting) so that you can pull your application together in plenty of time for the January 3 deadline!
Sponsored by AAA
A searchable transcript for this episode, as well as the captioned audiogram of this episode, are sponsored by the American Association for Anatomy (AAA) at anatomy.org.
If you're not listening to the preview episodes that precede each full episode (like this one), you're missing out on a lot!
Each preview usually has these features:
- Synopsis of topics coming up in the full episode
- Word Dissection: segment dissecting terminology that'll be used in (or relates to) the full episode, just like we do for our own A&P students —to get us ready to fully experience the full episode.
- The A&P Professor Book Club: recommendations from Kevin (and from listeners like you) regarding books of interest to A&P teachers
But wait! There's more! Sometimes. Like in the preview episode for this full episode, there's a segment all about the features of the free TAPP app and Kevin plays a clip from a recent audio/video review of this podcast by podcasting experts.
Kevin usually has a Warnings! page in his syllabus or other course documents. It contains three warnings about, and rationale explaining, some important things a student should know before continuing in the A&P course. There is shouting involved.
- The Syllabus Episode | Bonus | Episode 24
- Help significant others help YOU (a brief blog post for students; link to this from your course webpage, learning management system, and/or syllabus) my-ap.us/rgNZ27
- Supporting Returning Learners | Episode 9
- Bonus handout!
Sponsored by HAPI Online Graduate Program
The Master of Science in Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction—the MS-HAPI—is a graduate program for A&P teachers. A combination of science courses (enough to qualify you to teach at the college level) and courses in contemporary instructional practice, this program helps you power up your teaching. Kevin Patton is a faculty member in this program. Check it out!
We're held responsible (at least in part) for the safety of everyone in our classroom. How best to prepare for and facilitate safety?
- Teaching For Long Term Learning | Episode 7 (includes discussion of Test Zero)
- Active Shooter Booklet (free PDF from Department of Homeland Security) my-ap.us/DHSbooklet
- Bonus handout!
If the hyperlinks here are not active, go to TAPPradio.org to find the episode page.
- More details at the episode page.
- Transcript available at the script page.
- Listen to any episode on your Alexa device.
- Need help accessing resources locked behind a paywall? Check out this advice from Episode 32 to get what you need! https://youtu.be/JU_l76JGwVw?t=440