Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Debunking textbook myths



We've been hearing a lot of saber-rattling regarding the prices of textbooks these days.

I have a son at a big Jesuit university right now . . . a daughter starting college next year . . . and a preschooler who may eventually get there when textbook prices are really high. So I know first hand how big textbook bills are. I even still take classes myself . . . so I'm forking over the big bucks, too!

On the other hand, the textbooks that I write do help pay those bills. Not entirely, but it helps.

As a professor at a community college, I'm also painfully aware of some of the hardships endured by students trying to get all the textbooks they need.

Living inside several camps within the debate about textbook prices and practices, I'm amazed at how many false assumptions are acted upon by students, professors, colleges and universities, and even state legislatures (including my own here in Missouri).

I think every debate benefits from hearing from all sides and all parties. So in that spirit, I offer you a new publication just released by the Text and Academic Authors Association (TAA), of which I am a member.

Check it out and use the "Comments" feature of The A&P Professor blog to share your own thoughts and experiences.

Click here to read the FREE brochure Debunking Myths about Textbooks (requires a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader or Foxit).

Feel free to share this material with students and colleagues!

[Interested in textbook or academic writing? Let TAA help you! Email me to find out how to get your first year of membership FREE! If you are interested in reviewing or writing in my own A&P projects, let me know that too!]

No comments:

Post a Comment